Sunday, July 1, 2018

Graphic Praise Warning


Success as a missionary is much like success in anything else. You can measure the accomplishments numerically. It’s possible to quantify each feet and every victory. A soul won to Christ’s Kingdom, a seed planted, a wall of spiritual defense torn down. There is a critical difference in where the credit goes, though. In any business venture the credit goes to those who put in the hours but in ministry the credit always goes to He who divinely guides the investments.

It would be easy for me to list all the things completed in the clinic or the ministry opportunities that were successful while we worked at loving those who need and deserve love. The reality of ministry, however, is that every step, every completed task, and every relationship triumph is both initiated and completed by the Holy Spirit. That being said, I am proud to boast in what the Lord has guided me to do in the clinic. I want to make a list of all that has happened while He has used me to care for my community on Helen but please understand, if you have the impulse to think or say, “Great job Levi” it was never my credit to take. Jesus has orchestrated each and every step of ministry for me and my family while we have faithfully served these amazing people.

Procedures:

As much as I would have liked to post a ton of pictures so you could see the injuries and ailments that God brought to me, I felt like it would be a greater honor to not share any identifying information about the patients (even though there is no privacy laws here in Honduras).
Here is a list of the awesome things God has brought me to heal… if you are not in the medical field, you may be wondering why I say “awesome”. It is never awesome when someone is hurt or injured but, as my medical friends understand, we are weird and that which is gross to most people is “awesome” to us. Here is all that I have been blessed to help with:

Huge fish hook to the finger. Because the hook is barbed, it’s impossible to drag the hook back through the insertion site without damaging the finger more. So I used a technique, called digital block (numbing the entire finger), and cut from the distal knuckle to the tip of the finger and simply lifted the finger through the incision. A few stiches later and he was right as rain.

Suturing a machete injury to the foot.

Removing an insect from an eye (didn’t actually succeed and encouraged the patient to go to a larger hospital for assistance).

Help stop the bleeding from a facial injury of a child who fell from a hammock.
Suturing multiple children’s injuries, a total of 7 staples on scalp lacs, and treatment of 2nd and 3rd degree burns on a few different patients.

Not to mention the standard coughs, stomach aches, headaches, allergies, and standard clinic ailment.
We have also fallen head over heels for a little girl with sickle cell anemia who suffers from severe muscle atrophy.

I have also witnessed God’s miraculous healing. There is a man, we will call ‘F’ who suffers from a degenerative optic disease. He is… was blind. Due to the severity of his illness, there was, by all accounts, no way that he would have ever regain sight. As ‘F’ says, “My Jesus loves me!!!” I went to visit him yesterday to make sure he was getting by and, PRAISE JESUS, he has been healed! As me and Larry were walking down the path to say hi ‘F’ was walking by himself to get gas for his generator. HE RECOGNIZED US!!! I am truly humbled that Jesus would find it pleasing to himself that I would be able to participate in all that He is doing here.  


Administration:

When I arrived in the clinic, the pharmacy was depleted and had a lot of room for organization. This is where you get to see God work because, if you know me, I am not the most organized person in the world. God sent Brittney to help with this process. Through our discussions and a lot of work on Brittney’s part, the pharmacy is well organized. When medical staff is not on site Ted, a local islander who works as a staff member with M.E.I., and other non-medical staff, will provide medication for the islanders. God put it on my heart to make that process as easy as possible for non-medical staff when I am back in the states raising money for our continued ministry in the mission field, I color coded the type of medications. Cardiac meds are red, infection medication (antibiotics) are green, respiratory is yellow, GI is black, etc.

The pharmacy is filled with smaller quantities of meds in each bin and the bulk stock is kept in large locked cabinets. These two areas are now organized in the exact same ways so that, when pharmacy meds need filled, it will be easy for anyone to find and replenish used pharmacy medications.
Everything is labeled, inventoried, and easy to dispense. In addition to all the labeling, there is now a workable list of medication that need to be removed from the shelves based on expiration dates. I am grateful that God allowed me to simplify these systems for M.E.I. staff when we are gone.

I have witnessed death, sickness, and loss while on Helene. That being said, I have been witness to God’s provision, healing, and work. I look forward to the day when my job is no longer needed. When pain and illness are a distant memory and we get to praise Jesus daily for riding the world of the consequences of sin through life everlasting. Until that day, I will use the gifts and skills that He has blessed me with to love on His children.

Blessing
Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment